Study Abroad in Shanghai with IFSA
About the Program
If you want to make rapid gains in Chinese language, this program is for you! Through 20 hours of instruction per week, a 24/7 language pledge, and your homestay with a Chinese family, your language skills will improve faster than ever before in this carefull designed immersive environment.
Shanghai has grown exponentially in the last hundred years—from a colonial trading port to a massive international metropolis with a population of 24 million. Known for its fast-paced industry and cosmopolitan vibe, the city is intricately connected with the global flows of commodities and people. It also represents the enormous environmental, economic, and social challenges that are mirrored across China and around the world. Want to become immersed in a globally-minded population? Shanghai is your city.
- Rapidly improve your Chinese language skills through a rigorous 15 credit course load dedicated solely to language acquisition.
- Build your practical language skills through volunteer opportunities, NGO visits, and a Chinese-only language pledge.
- Live with a host family to promote language immersion and gain an in-depth understanding of Chinese family dynamics and traditions.
- Take your language skills outside of the city and discover the many realities and language inflections that exist in China through a week-long field study trip.
Take the Next Step!
IFSA scholarships are primarily need-based and factor in any additional cost your study abroad program might have over home school tuition. The awards are $500 for summer programs, $1,500 for semester programs and $2,500 for full year programs. These scholarships may apply to any IFSA program, with the exception of our custom programs.
6201 Corporate Drive Suite 200
Indianapolis, IN 46278
Further information about the Alliance's Intensive Chinese Language program in Shanghai specific to Wheaton College students
Wheaton College is committed to providing students with opportunities to broaden their understanding and vision beyond the borders of this campus and this country. We work in collaboration with carefully selected partner institutions around the world to support our students as they prepare to study abroad and while they are overseas. Students must apply to Wheaton's Center for Global Education as well as the institution through which they plan to study abroad. The most up-to-date information can be found on the program provider's website above.
Two previous semesters of Chinese language study are required.
Courses & Credits:
For students whose primary goal is Chinese language acquisition, the Alliance offers intensive language instruction in China’s most cosmopolitan city. With a language pledge that requires students to speak only Chinese, plus 20 hours of language instruction per week, students make rapid gains in their language skills—and put them to immediate use while exploring one of China’s most vibrant urban centers. 15 - 18 credit hours are equivalent to 4 Wheaton credits.
Housing & Meals:
For the first half of the semester, students live with roommates in Tonghe International Apartments, across the street from the north gate of . No meal plan is provided but many students eat in the new cafeteria on campus. Students should budget $15 per day for meals.
Students spend the second half of the semester with a Chinese host family.Once placed with their Chinese host families, breakfast and dinner are provided while students are responsible for their own lunches throughout the week. Host families provide all three meals on the weekends.
Click here for the Alliance in China budget worksheet.!
(Estimated personal expenses are available on the IFSA website)
Other Items to Note:
- All students accepted to a study abroad program will be assessed a $500 non-refundable confirmation fee at the time of final confirmation of study abroad participation.
- Students are not charged the technology, laundry, or student activities fees while on a study abroad program.
- Fees billed by Wheaton will be charged to students on their regular Wheaton College student account during regular billing cycles (July/December).
For Wheaton specific questions contact:
Center for Global Education
5 Howard Street
Norton, MA 02766-2322