About American Organization for Tropical Studies - Costa Rica
(Tropical Biology on a Changing Planet in Costa Rica)
The Organization for Tropical Studies (OTS) program in affiliation with Duke University is a non-profit consortium of 64 universities founded in 1963. OTS’s mission is to provide leadership in education, research, and the responsible use of natural resources in the tropics. Students who participate in this program will gain direct exposure to issues in resource management and conservation in Costa Rica and Central America. During visits to several biological stations, students will interact with researchers and graduate students completing doctoral research.
The program begins in San Jose. During the semester students visit three OTS-operated biological stations located in La Selva in the Caribbean rain forest, Palo Verde in the Pacific dry forest, and Las Cruces in a mid-elevation rain forest.
Fall Semester: August to December
Spring Semester: January to late May
Students must have completed two semesters of college biology and two semesters of college Spanish.
Courses & Credit:
Students enroll in four courses, which earns 4.0 Wheaton credits.
- Fundamentals of Tropical Biology
- Field Research in Tropical Biology
- Environmental Science and Policy in the Tropics
- Culture and Language in Costa Rica
Housing & Board:
Students live with host families in the beginning of the semester and will stay in dormitory-style housing during the visits to the three biological field stations throughout Costa Rica. Meals are included with host families and in dormitory-style housing at the field stations.
Click here for the SIT budget worksheet.!
(Estimated personal expenses are available on the OTS Costa Rica website)
Other Items to Note:
- All students accepted to a study abroad program will be assessed a $500 non-refundable confirmation fee at the time of final confirmation of study abroad participation.
- Students are not charged the technology, laundry, or student activities fees while on a study abroad program.
- Fees billed by Wheaton will be charged to students on their regular Wheaton College student account during regular billing cycles (July/December).
For Wheaton specific questions contact:
Center for Global Education
5 Howard Street
Norton, MA 02766-2322